Friday, June 18, 2010

I recently wrote a letter to our local newspaper which was published last Monday, June 7th. I wrote to The Messenger because I was disgusted with the hypocricy the Catholic Church used in their decision to fire a teacher over allegedly being an atheist- not true- when they continue to support priests and at least one bishop who went against all the teachings of Jesus and sexually assaulted kids and young people in their parishes.

Since then, I've spoken with the teacher's mother, Karen Nurre. She has shared with me how harshly her family is being judged over this situation and the struggles they have had. But she also said, "We will weather this storm." I applaud her courage and the way her family is coming together to support each other. If only the "family" of the church would respond that way when the most vulnerable members are being hurt.

Here is my letter:

The Des Moines Register reported how a Fort Dodge math teacher was fired from her job at St. Edmond Catholic School for “making atheist statements in a public forum,” which referred to information posted on her Facebook page. The teacher, Abby Nurre, was called into the office of Monsignor Kevin McCoy, where he handed her a letter informing her that she was being fired and barred her from the school grounds. The school board and the Iowa Catholic Conference tried unsuccessfully to deny her unemployment benefits “for being a member of an atheist website,” according to testimony by St. Edmond business manager Tim Hancock. He also said she had violated the principles of the Catholic church.

I find it interesting how swiftly and harshly this teacher was punished for beliefs which she stated she no longer holds. I am wondering where is the punishment for retired Bishop Laurence Soens, who was found credibly accused of sexually assaulting more than 20 boys. Does he not live out his retirement years through the support of the Catholic church? One might think that sexually assaulting teens was also a violation of the principles of the Catholic church. The diocese also continues to list Father Gerald Hartz, former St. Edmond superintendent, who was arrested in Carroll for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl and sued for assaulting an adult woman. The lawsuit was dropped on a technicality, but in it, the diocese admitted Father Hartz had had this problem before. Yet it seems mercy is being extended in this instance, as he is still a priest in good standing.

Certainly a private school has the right to insist on specific standards for their employees. But obviously some employees merit more grace than others, regardless of the charge against them.

1 comment:

  1. OH Dear. That's almost like saying there is no god - that wont help the Catholic church in any way as they will have greater difficulty in exploiting the millions.

    Some humor for you.

    If catholic thinking is a design flaw what does that say about intelligent design?

    Can god swap the rich and the poor just for a try out?

    Are volcanoes really a sign from god that another bishop just went to hell?

    How does the Vatican have the ear of god when he is more than 14 billion light years away?

    What technology do they use to speak with him?

    Is it a a one way conversation?

    Do you think the lack of healing and support from the church is a sign of mental illness?

    Is the denial of the global extent of the sexual abuse of children by catholic clergy?
    a) worse than denying the Holocaust
    b) just ordinary denial

    Is George Pell is proof of the failure of intelligent design?

    If the Earth is 14 billion years old why do we only know of the church's activities for the last 2000 years? What were they doing in the meantime?

    How many people can fit into heaven?

    Is heaven environmentally friendly?

    Am I assured of a place in heaven because I was sexually abused by catholic priests and nuns?

    How will god know I am OK to go to heaven when I am damaged for the whole of my life?

    Will I get to meet up with my abuser in heaven?

    Can I kill him there? Will he die again?

    Do they have non human sex toys available in heaven?

    Can I go to heaven and come back so that I can have a normal life or is being abused normal in the catholic church?

    Is heaven located in our galaxy or in some other galaxy?

    Is hell affected by plate tectonics?

    Is fellatio OK in heaven?

    Do they refer to that as a god job?

    What will happen to all the people in hell when the Earth disintegrates in another 4 or 5 billion years?

    If I wasn't alive before I was born will I be anywhere when I die?

    Must I keep the sexual abuses of clergy a secret when I get to heaven?

    If we move to Mars will it have a hell also?

    Why cant I be good without a god?

    Does my belief continue in the same way after I am dead?

    If I gain the power of speech when I go to heaven why cant people in heaven talk to people back here on Earth?

    The Pope is nearer to hell than to heaven - do they have their wires crossed?

    Understanding the continuum of time and space and with the acceptance of evolution by the church where was heaven before the big bang?

    If mankind came out of Africa should god be an African?

    Were there Catholics together with the dinosaurs? Why didn't they die out?

    Can I get my money back if I decide to opt out of heaven and hell?

    Do they have weather insurance in hell? Rain sure would be a killer there!

    Why did god include the design flaw that allowed the Catholic hierarchy to come into existence?

    How does god explain priestly pedophilia? Or is he silent on that also?

    Will the church allow Google to provide a street view of heaven?

    ReplyDelete